Loyola University St. Ignatius Community Plaza
1032 W Sheridan Rd, Chicago, IL
- SmithGroup JJR
- 1032 W Sheridan Rd, Chicago, IL
- 20,000 sq ft
Loyola University in Chicago recently expanded its Lake Shore campus to the south and decided to close the entire 6300 block of North Kenmore Avenue, to car traffic between Rosemont Avenue and Sheridan Road to connect new buildings to its main campus. The university decided to replace the avenue with a wide concrete paver shared-use plaza, which is one of the first pedestrian-only streets on the far north side.
The new plaza was designed to allow pedestrians and bicyclists safe passage between the southern areas of the school, which includes the new Institute of Environmental Sustainability building and several student dormitories, and the main campus. The plaza represents a 39,000 square-foot expansion of Loyola’s Lake Shore Campus and builds upon the University’s commitment to sustainability by featuring a new storm water management system, Eco-Priora permeable interlocking pavers, native plantings, and a meadow living-learning laboratory for students and visitors.
Unilock Chicago supplied over 20,000 square feet of Eco-Priora permeable pavers in 5 x 5 inch, 5 x 10 inch and 10 x 10 inch sizes in multiple colors to create the striking design. The permeable pavers allow for rainwater infiltration to manage stormwater on site.